Tuesday, August 31, 2010

8/31 Progress

Time to move some of the Epic Quest games forward. Obviously, I expect these to be the longest, with a few exceptions like the eternally long Oblivion in my Sword Slashing category.

So, I started off with the next chapter of Star Ocean. This chapter was uneventful and boring, as Fayt (the main character) and Sophia (His gal pal) are trapped in an evacuation center after a bunch of jerky-puss aliens called the Verdini attacked a vacation colony planet they were on. Fayt's been separated from his parents and doesn't know their fate (boo hoo!) and the Pangalactic Federation (That's the "good guys") shunted us off into this underground facility.

All I had to do in this chapter was walk around and talk to everybody, and eventually there were some nice cut scenes with them circus folks I made friends with in the first tutorial chapters. After getting some sleep, an announcment occured that we were being moved onto a military transport ship. I beamed onto it (Thanks Scotty!) and now I'm on the ship. Tempted to keep playing, but you know, it's checkmark time. And onto the next game!
_______________________________________________________________________________

Figured I'd see what was next in store for me in Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. After all, this was the game I had the hardest time getting the checkmark for in Round 1.

This time around, its just a big fight against a super villain named Mercy. She, of course, doesn't have any. She teleports around, shoots massive laser beams, and actually gets tougher as the fight progresses. Very challenging to an uncoordinated button masher like me.

I almost defeated her once out of the four times I tried, but it looks like she's going to have to go down another day. She will go down for me! Er, that didn't come out right. I mean, she will be defeated at some indeterminate time in the future. Oh yes. Oh yes she will.
_______________________________________________________________________________
Time to put in the next Suikoden, since I'm doing three of these eternally long games simultaneously. Suikoden 5.

As we start out this session, I get to watch the first round of the Sacred Games, a tournament to determine a husband for my 12 year old Princess sister. I guess that's how they did it in the old days! This foreign swordsman named Belcoot took out this huge gladiator, and I got sent on a mission from dear old Dad, the Knight Commander Ferid, to seek him out and learn more about him.

Exploring town -- got me a new shiny helmet! (Spear and maaaagic helllmeet!) Okay, it's not a magic helmet. It's a plain ol' leather helmet. But it cost me $4500 so it better be from Gucci! Upgraded some skills. You have a report card like grade system for your fighting and magic skills in this game. Mine are all at E. If I brought home a report card like this, I'd get spanked. I have a feeling if I encounter a tough opponent, same thing will occur!

Ran into this martial artist chick who wanted to enter the Sacred Games, not knowing the winner gets the hand of the Princess. Oops. She ran off after finding out. Bet she'll be back in the story later. Ya think?

After running all over town randomly, I finally find Belcoot, who is being threatened by a bunch of thugs. They don't believe I'm the Prince because they are idiots, and me and my bodyguard knights whoop them easily. Belcoot joins our party! Mission Accomplished. Checkmark Acquired.

Aaand time to move on.
_________________________________________________________________________

I insert Kingdom Hearts into my Playstation 2, not knowing what's going to happen next. When last we left off, I had sealed the last of the current worlds - Wonderland, and now its time to head back to good ol' Traversetown.

I blow a lot of shit up on the way there in my Gummiship. Yeah, that's right. My ship is made out of Gummi. What about it?

I get to Traversetown with my boys Goofy and Donald Duck, and we talk to Sid in the Accessory Shop about the doohickey plot device object I acquired, and he gives me a crusty old book he put together, which I now have to deliver to Merlin in the Third District of the city.

A bell chimes off in the distance. Ooh, that sounds like an adventure! Sid tells me not to go there yet, deliver the book first. Bah! I'll do what I want to. I'm in control. I'm the big man in town! I rule here.

I go deliver the book.

Merlin informs me he has no idea what it is either. But he puts it on a pedistal for me to check out. I talk to the Fairy Godmother, who also hangs out in Merlin's crib. Hmm, Merlin and the Fairy Godmother are shacking up together. Not that I'm a gossip monger but....ya know, they are both at least 300 years old.

So The Fairy Godmother tells me that I can now summon Simba in combat! Like, the giant Lion from the Lion King. Yee-Ahhh. I can't wait to sick his ass on somebody. What now? I got lionz!

I look at the book...and instantly get teleported inside. As Scooby Doo would say "Rhut Row!" And without my boys. Goofy and Donald got left behind.

I explore, and come across a meadow. Do I want to go in, it asks me. Am I playing this game, I say, as witty rejoinder. It doesn't get it. I go in.

There's somebody sitting alone on a tree branch. AHHHH HELLLZ YEAAH. It's the MAN. The Myth. The Legend.

It's Winnie the Pooh.

Winnie's all depressed and suicidal. Everybody's gone and he's trying to figure out how to say goodbye to himself, cause he figures with no honey tree, he'll soon disappear too. NO WAY MAN. I gotta save the Poohmaster.

I go to his house. He eats the last of his honey. Oh no's! Don't slit your wrists Winnie. I leave the house after stealing an Elixer out of Winnie's cabinet, cause that's what I do. (See Gold from Elven Village above). I pilfer in the name of GOOD! No, really, I need it.

An owl appears and tells me that I can't progress further because pages of the magic book are scattered all over the universe on other worlds. Doh. That sounds like a massive side quest to me. I leave the book world.

Cut Scene: My old friend Silverhaired Kid shows up! Donald doesn't like him, he can't come along with us. Then he vanishes mysteriously. What the? Oh well, I head back to the Accessory Shop, save the game. That's a checkmark folks. Task completed.
__________________________________________________________________________________

And the board for Round 2 looks like this:
MIND TEASERS:
Chess Titans - 1
Gabriel Knight - 1
Mahjong Titans - 1
Sherlock Holmes - 2
Spider Solitaire - 2
World Series of Poker - 1

STRATEGY:
Civilization - 2
Europa Universalis - 1
Gladius - 2
Space Empires - 1 (1/2 hour played. 1/2 hour to go until checkmark)
Suikoden Tactics - 1
World of Mixed Martial Arts - 2

SHOOTER:
Crysis - 2
Fallout 3 - 1
Freedom Fighters - 2
Killzone - 2
Resident Evil 4 - 1
Ring of Red - 1

PURE ACTION:
Devil May Cry - 2
God of War - 1
Madden Football - 2
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams - 2
Soul Reaver 2 - 2
Soul Caliber - 1

SWORD SLASHERS
Champions: Return to Arms - 1 (Hacking Orcs A' Plenty)
Dark Cloud - 1
Drakengard - 2
.Hack Infection - 1 (Level Grinding in progress)
Oblivion: Elder Scrolls - 1
Shadow of Rome - 1

EPIC - FANTASY
Dragon's Age Origin - 1
Dragon's Quest 8 - 1
Final Fantasy 12 - 1
Suikoden 3 - 1
Suikoden 4 - 2
Suikoden 5 - 2

EPIC - OTHER GENRES
Kingdom Hearts - 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - 2
Mercenaries - 1
Rogue Galaxy - 1
Star Ocean - 2
Xenosaga - 1

ROCKSTAR MISSION BASED
Assassin's Creed - 1
GTA: Liberty City Stories - 1
Hulk - 1 (Tough Boss Fight!)
Manhunt 2 - 1
The Warriors - 1
Urbz - 1

No comments:

Post a Comment